My basket made by Abby, Luke and Heather
- Basket of your choice
- Monogram letters
- Hot glue gun
- Something special to adorn the basket
- bendable straws— with limited use of arms and upper body strength, along with taking lots of medication, these were so helpful to drink from.
- medicine dispenser— realizing that you could not open a medicine bottle is quite alarming; I had someone leave the top loose because if I knew that I would sometimes be alone to take medicine. However, having a dispenser is much easier once you get on a regimen and are familiar with your medications.
- notebook— can have all sorts of uses: keeping up with medication times, calls, messages, doctor appointments, etc. I kept one beside my bed. For a while, others kept up with noting this information and I would just glance over it! Shutterfly has custom notebooks that you can create for a loved one, with designs or pictures on it.
- Post-its— reminders, reminders, reminders, I forgot everything unless I put a post-it on it!
- pens— to go with the notepad; I chose the pink ones of course!
- calendar— a blank calendar is so important. The cancer process comes with many doctor appointments, procedures and treatments to keep up with. People also make plans to bring you meals. If you have children, life and activities still go on; keeping the calendar in a central location to let others write activities and appointments is a huge.
- baby wipes— being unable to shower for a week after surgery called for creativity. A friend brought over baby wipes & fragrance spray which worked like a charm.
- lotion and fragrance spray— light scent! After surgery I felt like the scented lotions and fragrance spray helped with the “hospital” smell in the room, it’s inevitable.
- hand sanitizer— immunity purposes.
- make-up wipes— not that I wore make-up every day, but considering the amount of visits to the hospital, it was several times a week. To get back in bed, and use a wipe to easily take off my make-up was perfect!
- other ideas to put in the basket: slippers, socks, PJs, t-shirts (short and long sleeve), yoga pants.
- encouraging books, magazines.
- vitamin water— stay hydrated!
- gift card to favorite restaurants.